NIE Procedure Guide
– Who has to do this procedure?
This procedure is compulsory and must be done by the student himself/herself.
– What is this procedure and why do I have to do it?
This procedure is mandatory for all non-EU citizens who are going to live in Spain for more than six months and that entered in Spain with a long-term student visa. They are obligated to ask for the extension of their student visa, and that extension is the first card as a student from outside the European Union. Please bear in mind that the visa that you hold in your passport is just for the entrance in Spain. If you do not apply for the card you could be illegal in Spain after 3 months.
– When do I have to do it?
The student has to START this procedure WITHIN the 30 days after his/her arrival in Spain.
If you try to do it after this period, your application could be rejected and then you will remain illegal in Spain with no possibility to revert this situation.
– Do I need an appointment for this procedure?
You can get an appointment on this website in order to plan your procedure in advance, or you can go without appointment to:
C/ Guadalajara, 1 – 3 (on the corner with c/ Bosch), at the rear of the Police Station located at c/ Balmes, 192, Barcelona.
Opening hours: from 09.00am to 02.00pm
The nearest metro stations is DIAGONAL (line 5 – blue or line 3 – green)
- Certificado de Empadronamiento
Clarify that “empadronamiento” or home registration is a city hall registration to inform the system where you are currently residing in order to generate a list of local inhabitants.
The “empadronamiento” is a mandatory process for anyone who plans to stay in Spain more than six month, which is the case of the CSSS’ students. The procedure is free of charge.
The students can obtain the home registration in the nearest Town Hall’s offices of their neighborhood or directly they can go to OAC (Oficinad’AtencioCiutadana – the principal and biggest office, location: Plaza Sant Miquel, 3).
There are several offices in Barcelona where you can acquire the home registration:
- Distric Ciutat Vella – c/ Ramelleres, 17
- DistricEixample – c/ Aragó, 28
- DistricSants-Montjuïc – c/ CreuCoberta, 104
- Distric Les Corts – Plaza Comas, 18
- Distric Gràcia – Plaza Vila de Gràcia, 2
- Distric Nou Barris – Plaza Major de Nou Barris, 1
- Distric Sant Andreu – c/ Segre, 24 – 32
The students can get a previous appointment by calling 010 or on the following website: link. The only office that doesn’t require appointment for this procedure is the OAC (Pl. Sant Miquel, 3).
Once you are in the city hall office, you need to submit the following documents:
- Passport (original and copy)
- Lease contract (original copy of the rental agreement in Spanish or Catalan. Contract must be for more than 6 months).
- If you rent a room:you will need a signed authorization from your landloor/lady. This authorization is form given by the Adjuntament de Barcelona. We can provide a copy for you in Student’s support office or you can ask for a copy in any city hall office.
2. Original and copy of Ex – 17 form
3. Original and copy of our passport
One copy of your personal information page.
One copy of the visa page where the arrival stamp is stamped.
4. Original and copy of the Castelldefels School of Social Sciences enrolment letter
Once you have your appointment, you need to ask to Registrar’s Office at CSSS for a fresh enrolment letter, you can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and it will be ready for you to pick it up the next day.
5. Three passport sized photos (no copies)
Submitting the documents
Once you have complied all documents, you need to submit them at the police offices.
They will give you a form to pay the taxes (16€). You must pay the taxes and bring the form back to the office. After paying the tax they will provide a receipt meaning you are in the process of getting your NIE.
Please notices that the process takes about 30 – 40 days and your NIE will have validity for one year. If our program lasts more than one year, you will have to renew it before it expires.