• +34 931 168 821

  • info@csss.es

International Student Support


It has been said that nothing is more important that your health and life in a safe way. For this reason, we kindly recommend to our students to acquire a health insurance for their safe stay in Barcelona.

As an international student, a health insurance can give you the medical support, just in case you need it and you will feel safer. In addition, is well known, that in Spanish Public Health is hard to find someone who speaks English, meanwhile if you have a health insurance the doctors can attend you in English and give you the support that you need.

Spain has a Public Health System that covers European citizens, does not cover the medical expenses of the citizens of countries outsides the EU. Even though the non-EU citizens can address themselves to the public medical system, they should have to pay for the care, and the price will be higher than the one of a public doctor because the public system is saturated. The Schools recommend that in case the student needs medical assistances to call his/her Health Insurances and asks for list of hospitals and doctors that can visit his/her.

Finally, to have a health insurance is also important for those students who want to stay longer in Spain. If the student wants to stay longer in Spain he/she needs to renew the NIE (you can read more information in the “legal status in Spain” section), he/she must submit in the renew NIE process a proof of a health insurance which covers the possible medical expenses and risks.


The amount you need to bring will depend on your personal lifestyle. We recommend you bring 500euros –750 euros in traveler’s checks and 500euros in cash to cover your expenses the first few weeks in Barcelona. Traveler’s checks are much safer than carrying large amounts of cash and it’s easy to be cashed at airports and most banks in Barcelona. Its highly recommend that you must record the serial numbers of your traveler’s checks and to keep them in a safe place in case you lose or misplace them during your travel.

If you are planning to use a credit or debit card from your local bank at home in Spain, check that you will be able to use the card, if yes then what charges will be applied to your account. Visa, Visa Electron and MasterCard- are widely accepted in the Spain. Also, to use it as a debit card, you will need to know your PIN—the 4-digit Personal Identification Number used to withdraw money from a cash machine (ATM). Without this, you may not be able to use your card to pay for purchases. It is advised that you inform your credit or debit card company that you will be studying abroad to avoid the risk of their freezing your account in suspect of fraud.

On the other hand, the average cost of living for students in Barcelona is between 500 euros to 700 euros per month totally depending upon your lifestyle. This table will give you general idea of the prices you will be encountering in Barcelona:

Monthly rent: flat€600 - €800
Monthly rent: room in a shared flat€150 - €400
Monthly rent: room in a student resident€300 - €500

Average restaurant menu€ 10
Weekly supermarket cost€20 - €30

Underground and bus (1 zone)Price
Single ticket€ 2
3-month ticket€ 142
3-month ticket (travelers under 25)€ 105

Cinema ticket€ 8
Theatre ticket€12 - €40
Concert ticket€15 - €50
Nightclub ticket€12 - €17


  • Check with your airline regarding limits for weight and size for baggage. In addition, check on restrictions for carry-on baggage.
  • Ensure you have a valid passport with visa. Keep them handy in your carry-on baggage or inside of your passport. You will need to present it by the port of entry. Please make photocopies or scan all your important documents.
  • Arrange cash and travel checks to support you until you can open a bank account.
  • Arrange for travel insurance.
  • Check the compatibility of any electrical equipment you are bringing.


Here you have a set of general tips to keep on your toes while studying and living in your new city from TimeOut Barcelona Magazine:

A) Which card should I use to travel by public transport in Barcelona?

The most popular integrated travel cards (for metro, bus, FGC, tram and Renfe trains) are:

T-10: A multi-person travel card allowing 10 journeys to be made on all operators in the Integrated Fare System (IFS) across one to six zones. In the case of one-zone cards, passengers have 75 minutes from validating the ticket to change lines or mode of transport (e.g., bus to train); this time increases by 15 minutes per zone.

T-Mes (monthly travel card): A holder-specific travel card allowing unlimited journeys on all operators in the IFS, and which lasts one calendar month. T-Mes cards must be used in conjunction with a valid ID such as a national ID document or any ID issued by IFS operators.

T-Jove (young person travel card): Under-25s can use this personalized card to make unlimited journeys over 90 days (from the first validation) on all operators in the IFS. Proof of age is necessary with a valid national ID document, NIE or passport.

T-50/30: An individual travel card valid for 50 journeys over 30 consecutive days from the first validation. In the case of one-zone cards, holders have 75 minutes between the first and last validation when changing lines or mode of transport.




Please find below a list of the procedures that you might have to follow to legalize your stay in Spain. In each category, you will find the application forms, lists of the documents you will need to submit and instructions. We strongly advise you to attend the legal workshop, at the beginning of the program, where we can explain it all to you and help you to start some of these procedures.

  1. First “NIE” card for NON-EU student

This procedure is compulsory for all the students and citizen of a country that does not belong to the European Union who are going to live in Spain for more than six month and that entered in Spain with a long-term student visa. They must ask for the extension of their student visa and that extension is the first car as a student form outside the EU. Please bear in mind that the visa student is just the entrance in Spain. The student ought to start the procedure within the 30 (thirty) days after his/her arrival in Spain. If you tried to do it after this period, your application could be reject.

In order to obtain the NIE you shall to pre-book an online appointment at the Immigration Office. The official link for ask the NIE appointment is (be careful the website is only available in Spanish):


You should take the following documentations to submit at the appointment:

  • Current Certificate of Residency Registration
  • Original and copy of the application form EX-17.
  • Original and photocopy of your passport
  • Original and copy for you CSSS enrolment letter.
  • 3 recent color passport-size photographs


  1. Renewal NIE

There are only two possibilities for renewal NIE: just because the student starts an internship or starts another program/course. The students can begin the procedure from 60 days before the expiring date until the day in which the card expires. However, the law also allows that the student begins the TIE renewal during 90 days after the expiry date of the car. If the student does it during this period the Spanish authorities could apply she/he an economic fee could reach 500euros.

To obtain the renewal NIE you shall to pre-book an online appointment at the Immigration Office. The official link for ask the NIE appointment is (be careful the website is only available in Spanish): https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icpplus/index.html

You should take the following documentations to submit at the appointment:

  • Passport (original and copy)
  • NIES expired car
  • Form EX-00
  • Original and copy of the internship agreement or the original and copy con the enrollment letter of the new course /program.
  • Original and copy of the grade certificate of the previous course.
  • Proof of economics means for the new period.
  • A public or private health insurance, covering the possible medical expenses and risk.